Saturday 18 April 2009

How to leave a Legacy Part 4


Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others. 2 Timothy 2:1-2

I am quite sure that if Paul the Apostle was alive today then it is perfectly obvious (!) he would have used the examples of Paul Scholes, The NoroVirus and Pylons to demonstrate to Timothy the power of passing things on.


According to popular opinion, Paul Scholes is supposedly the greatest midfielder in the Premier League at the moment. His ability to pass the ball is legendary. The reason he is so effective in the field is that Paul Scholes knows how to pass it on.


Affectionately known as the "winter vomiting bug", the infectious Norovirus caused Heston Blumenthal a nightmare recently when it decided to infect 40 of his guests at the £130 a head Fat Duck restaurant. This badboy spreads faster than Anchor butter straight from the fridge. It knows how to pass it on.

According to pylons.org there is a Pylon Appreciation Society for people who "appreciate" electricity pylons. Before you laugh, heed the warning of the clubs creator who says "It's funny how many people accuse me of being mad or geeky - and then they send me photos or ask for more information!" I will give their fans one thing - these pylons really know how to pass electricity on. (You know you wanna join!)


When Paul writes to Timothy with a deep desire for him to create a lasting legacy with his life, one of the clearest points he wants to get across is that he must learn to pass things on to others. It is not just about having a sense of history, we must have a spirit of destiny as well.


The picture of four runners in a relay team is a really good one here. Paul (1) has the baton first, he passes it on to Timothy (2), who must pass it on to others (3). These men (4) must in turn be equipped to pass it on in order for the race to be won. There are four generations and beyond that must be able grasp hold of the baton of truth. It is almost as if Paul does not consider success until eternal truth has been passed down the line.



This makes me want to think ahead. Way ahead. It makes me question what I am sowing into now and wonder if it will last into the future. I often wonder about the church, project, people group or plans I am involved in right now, and if am I building in the capicity for it to flourish in four generations time. It makes me soberly assess the work of my hands and ask if truth in my life really is being passed onto the next generation. If this is how I win the race, then I'd better start passing the baton.

1 comment: